Google launched its Nexus P device recently and the phone is making quite a buzz for all the right reasons. Supported by an excellent hardware and software specs, the phone is emerging a winner among all other high-end smartphones.
So if you own a Nexus P yourself and are willing to experience its full power, then follow this guide on how to root it and install custom recovery on it.
Pre-requisite to Root Nexus P and Install Custom Recovery
- Create a backup of all your personal phone data including contacts, msgs, images and videos.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. To do so navigate to the Developer Options under Settings menu and enable USB Debugging there.
- Charge your phone with at least 70% battery so that it can work through the entire rooting process.
- Make sure your Nexus P runs on the latest Android Marshmallow 6.0 in order to follow this guide.
- Get Android SDK from here and install it.
- Download the package SuperSUv2.49 from here for your Nexus P device on your PC.
- Download the recovery file, CWM Recovery Tool and make sure to save it on your PC in the directory: android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
- Download FastBoot for the preferred OS from the links given below.
Procedure to Root Nexus P & Install Custom Recovery
Step 1: Extract the downloaded FastBoot file in the same directory as mentioned before: android-sdk-windows\platform-tools. In case this directory does not exist, create one.
Step 2: Connect your Nexus P device with your PC using USB cable.
Step 3: Copy the SuperSUv2.49 file you downloaded before and paste it in the root folder of your device’s SD card.
Step 4: Turn off your Nexus P device.
Step 5: Now press the Volume Down and Power button together and hold it till your phone enter the Bootloader mode.
Step 6: Once in the Bootloader mode now, navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your PC and right click here while pressing Shift key and select Open Command Prompt option.
Step 7: Now in the Command Prompt window type the following command: fastboot flash recovery *name of your recovery file*.img
Step 8: Now in the Fastboot menu select the recovery mode.
Step 9: Once in the recovery mode now, select the options flash zip from SD card> choose zip from SD card.
Step 10: Now locate your SuperSU file in the SD card. You can scroll up or down using the corresponding volume keys. Select the file and confirm it.
Step 11: Wait for the installation to finish. Once done, Go Back to the main menu and reboot your device. The first boot takes some time so be patient.
And once your phone reboots, it is now successfully rooted and installed with your selected custom recovery. Enjoy the freedom on your Nexus P now! So these were the simple steps to root Nexus P and Install Custom Recovery. If you face any problem in rooting the device, feel free to tell us in comments below. Subscribe to our blog and follow us on Facebook in order to receive regular tech updates similar to this.