Ubuntu as we all know is one of the most prominent Linux Distro available in the market. Ubuntu is an Open Source OS – it’s rapidly developing every minute. Ubuntu releases a new version twice every year – One in the 4th Month and the other in the 10th month. As you have already guessed , Ubuntu just released their new version a few days back – 15.04 Vivid Vervet. So if you are one of those users who is still using one of the older versions of Ubuntu – we will illustrate How to Update from Ubuntu 14.04 to 15.04.
We are going to look at two methods – One a straightforward Update Manager Method and the Second a Terminal Method.
- Open Dash , Search for Update Manager . Now when Update Manager is open you will notice it is going to show you a lot of Updates. We don’t need all these right now.
- Hit on the Settings Button on the Update Manager. Now in Other Software Tab – Remove all the Third Party Software.
- Now in the Updates Tab, make sure Notify Me of New Ubuntu Version to “Any New Version”.
- Now close the Update Manager. Start the Update Manager again and Hit on Check . This will connect to Servers and check for Updates.
- The Update Manager should now the new Version 15.04 Vivid Vervet available as an Update.
- Click on Update and depending on your Network – The Update should be finished in a few minutes to an hour.
- If you are on an LTS release – you won’t be able to Update. So for that you need to Edit your release text file. To do this type in the below command in the Terminal : sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
- Now type in the below to Open the file in Edit mode : sudo gedit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
- In the Text File that opens up make sure Prompt = Normal.
- Now use this command to start the Update : sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -d
If you had any issues with the Update – post a trace below. We will revert with a solution. We will be back with more awesome stuff from Vivid Vervet , so stay tuned.