Moto X Play is the latest flagship device from Motorola that offers its user a complete package of style as well as performance in an affordable price range. However, apart from these specs and features, you get the raw Android installed in the device. The raw Android interface is smooth and absolutely lag free, but at the same time it does not offer anything exciting when compared to other interfaces offered by other companies in their smartphones.
So, if you are among those people who wish to install some tweaks or another ROM on this smartphone, there is one and only way to do that, i.e. root Moto X Play and install TWRP recovery in it. Here we are going to guide you step by step and tell you how you can root your Moto X and install custom ROM and TWRP recovery in it safely and without any problem. So, just follow the steps given below and get your Moto X Play rooted in no time.
Steps to Root Moto X Play and Install TWRP Recovery
- The very first thing that you need to do before beginning the rooting process it to unlock your bootloader. In order to unlock the bootloader, you need to visit the Motorola website and follow the steps given there. You can go to the site from here.
- After the bootloader is unlocked, enable USB debugging mode from Settings>Developer options>USB Debugging.
- Now you need to download the USB driver compatible with your phone and ADB flashboot file from the link here.
- Download and extract the files in ADB
- Now you need the TWRP file which you can download from here.
- Now rename the downloaded file to recovery and cut and paste the file in the ADB folder.
- Download the SuperSU root file from here.
- It will be a .zip file and you need to transfer it to your smartphone.
- Now switch off you Moto X Play and start it again in fastboot mode. In order to do that, press POWER+Volume Down button for around 3-4 seconds and you will see fastboot mode on your screen.
- Now connect your device via USB to your PC.
- Open command window in ADB folder.
- Now in the command window type “fastboot flash recovery recover.img”.
- This will install TWRP recovery in your Moto X Play.
- Now you need to boot your Moto X Play in recovery mode.
- Then type the command “fastboot boot recovery.img” in command window.
- Now in the recovery mode, go to “Install file from SD: and browse the transferred “SuperSU.zip” file and install it.
- Once the file is successfully flashed, reboot your device.
And that is all, you will find that you have successfully rooted you Moto X Play. You can check it by finding the SuperSU application in your app drawer. So these were the simple steps to Root Moto X Play and install TWRP recovery in it. In case you face any kind of problem, feel free to ask up in comments below. Subscribe to our blog and follow us on Facebook to receive regular tech updates similar to this.